Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is especially good if you were raised in the south and like okra!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra, thaw
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 lbs raw small shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- For roux, blend oil and flour in stockpot.
- Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes until dark brown.
- Add chopped onion, parsley, celery, green onions and garlic to roux.
- Cook additional 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Add broth, okra, salt and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Add shrimp, simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add cooked rice, and serve.
I've made this recipe twice before and I plan on making it again for a potluck tomorrow. Its a perfect recipe. Its spicy, but not too spicy that most people can enjoy it. The viscosity of the gumbo if perfect thanks to the amount of okra in the recipe. You can use vegetable broth instead of chicken. Personally I prefer using a mix of both. For best results let it cook all day, or at least 6 hours. If you can cook it for 6 hours don't cut the onion. Put the whole onion in there and let it simmer and slowly release its flavor. This way the onion flavor is evenly and strongly spread into the gumbo. If you can only cook for a few hours then cut the onion like the recipe says.
love this recipe.