Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is especially good if you were raised in the south and like okra!
Make and share this Spicy Shrimp Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra, thaw
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 lbs raw small shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- For roux, blend oil and flour in stockpot.
- Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes until dark brown.
- Add chopped onion, parsley, celery, green onions and garlic to roux.
- Cook additional 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Add broth, okra, salt and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Add shrimp, simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add cooked rice, and serve.