Recipe by Chef Jeff S
Quick, easy and full of flavor. You can even add some cooked brown rice or egg noodles round out this soup.
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 6 medium shrimp, save the shells for the broth
- 1 tablespoon onion, fine chop
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, fine chop
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, 1/4 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, mix with Creole seasoning
- 1 pinch saffron thread
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 1 cup broth into small sauce pan, reserving ½ cup.
- Shell shrimp and dust both sides with seasoning mix. Whatever seasoning mix is left set aside for later. Set shrimp aside.
- Put shells and saffron into sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil remove from heat and cover.
- Chop all veggies.
- Heat a small non stick skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Add onion, jalapeno, zucchini, remaining seasoning mix and ¼ cup reserved broth. Stir and cook until liquid is almost gone.
- Remove shells from broth with a slotted spoon. Add the veggies to saffron broth and cover.
- Wipe the non stick skillet clean and heat over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the shrimp and cook a couple of minutes a side. Add the remaining broth and cook until liquid is about ½ gone.
- Pour broth and shrimp into saffron broth and bring back up to a slow boil.
- Add a good grind of pepper and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cilantro, stir and remove from heat.