Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is my own version of the many different dishes served with the same name down in NOLA. Down there they use Taso ham instead of smoked sausage most of the time, but the sausage is easier to find and just as good in my opinion.
- 19 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, chopped into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Cook Tortellini in boiling water just until they start to float. Rinse with cold water. Toss pasta with the teaspoon of olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Try to use either andouille or Emeril's kicked up smoked sausage. You want a spicy sausage for this dish.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Saute smoked sausage, onion, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Let cook on Med-high for 3-4 minutes. Add shrimp and let cook another 2 minutes, or until shrimp looks mostly pink.
- Add wine, cream, creole seasoning, herbs, hot sauce and fresh black pepper. Turn temp down to Med and let reduce for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and toss in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve imediately with french bread and butter. Goes great with a nice salad. I recommend a nice crisp chardonnay wine to go with it.
- Sometimes I even add catfish nuggets to this dish. I saute them with the shrimp and sausage. It's pretty good that way too.
Delightful dish - the entire family enjoyed! made with andouille - the only change was I added more green pepper as I used the last of my red bell pepper last night and hadn't been to the store tonight! Deelish! DH has his lunch set aside already and is waiting for the guys to be jealous tomorrow - which he has assured me they will be!! Going to Market Tag 2007