Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Have not had the chance to try this yet, but this is my kind of dish. Can be prepared ahead and baked at dinner time. Sounds wonderful!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 8 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb bay scallop
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Heat oil in saucepan, add onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, salt, red pepper, black pepper and basil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Cook Penne pasta for 9 minutes, drain and add to prepared baking dish.
- In separate saucepan, melt butter, add shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add scallops and cook for 30 seconds, just to coat.
- Spoon seafood over noodles and top with tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, then uncover and bake for 10 minutes more.
This was delicious, and very easy to make ahead of time and just chill until oven time. It was not as spicy as we had expected. I made the following modifications to the recipe: 1. Added fresh sliced portabello mushrooms. 2. Used whole wheat pasta 3. Added 1/2 cup white wine. 4. Doubled the amount of garlic (you can never have too much garlic!) 5. Used cooked shrimp, so only added it in the last 20 minutes of baking time, so as not to get too chewy. Thank you for a great seafood recipe, Marie. We will be making this again soon!!!!
OMG! This was such a delish recipe. My 22 year old who is extremely picky loved it. This will definetely be added to our regular menu. I did make an addition though. We had some left over king crab legs so I added the meat from them also. It was phenominal. Thank you very much.
My husband and I both loved this, even though I overcooked the pasta. I don't really like seafood, but this was really good. The only change was we used sea scallops instead of the bay scallops, so I added them when I added the shrimp.