From Slightly North of Broad in Charleston, SC. If the sausage is spicy you may want to leave out the cayenne pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups stone ground corn grits
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2/3 lb shrimp, 26-35 ct
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces country ham, julienned
- 4 ounces smoked pork sausage, cut into rounds
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinch cajun spices (optional) or 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato, seeded and diced
- 4 tablespoons green onions, tops only, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup water
- 1For the grits:.
- 2Rinse the grits in a large bowl of water. With your hand, scoop out any bran or hulls floating on top of the water. Drain well.
- 3Combine the water, salt and butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the grits and stir. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 28 to 40 minutes (check instruction on the bag of grits), stirring occasionally. If the grits stick to the bottom of the pan, reduce the heat and stir more frequently.
- 4Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Keep warm.
- 5For the shrimp:.
- 6While the grits are cooking, peel and devein the shrimp. If desired, swish the shrimp in a bowl of cool, salted water to remove any impurities. Repeat. Finish with a cool water rinse, drain and set aside.
- 7When the grits are ready, prepare the topping. In a large skillet, sauté the shrimp in a tablespoon of butter over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- 8In the same skillet, sauté the country ham and sausage for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked through.
- 9Add the garlic and cayenne, if using, and sauté 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and green onions and sauté 30 seconds.
- 10Return the shrimp to the skillet, add water or chicken broth and simmer briefly. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- 11To serve, spoon four equal portions of the grits into four bowls. Place 5 or 6 shrimp on top of each portion of grits and spoon on equal parts of the topping, including some of the liquid. Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Shrimp and Grits With Tomato and Country Ham
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.7
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 151.5 mg
- Sodium 1217.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked pork sausage