Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup grits, quick cooking
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- heavy cream
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled & devein
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, stir the grits and salt into the boiling milk/water mixture.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add white cheddar, grated and thin with a little cream, if too thick.
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- With slotted spoon, remove the bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Combine the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and cayenne and flour in a bowl.
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat evenly.
- Heat the bacon fat over high heat.
- Saute the shrimp and garlic, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss in green onions and reserved bacon and cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Spoon over pool of grits on oversized dinner plate.
- Garnish perimeter of plate with cooked corn and pimento.