Prep 3 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This tangy, gingery pickle is wonderful on any sort of sandwich or wrap you care to make (try it on Banh Mi!) - but it also makes a delicious slaw on its own and is a hit tossed with a garden salad at a picnic.
- 1 lb carrot, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 lb radish, coarsely grated (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peppercorn
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh ginger
- Combine carrots, radishes and salt in a colander. Let stand 2-3 hours, then rinse and squeeze dry. Set aside.
- Bring the remaining ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the shredded carrots and radishes and bring back to a boil, stirring.
- Spoon into ½ pint jars, seal and process in a waterbath for 15 minutes.
- Allow to infuse for 1 week before enjoying.