Recipe by Sharon123
Use this spicy meat to fill tortillas for soft tacos and burritos. Or use it for quesadillas, tostadas, or taco salads.
Top Review by chia
this was a bit bitter even though i cut back on the spices. i used 1 1/2 tbsp of chipolte chile powder, 1 can of green chiles, mild salsa, and i did cook this in the crockpot. i was thinking that if i added the spices while the brisket was cooking that they wouldn't have that raw hot taste. i served these on buns with cole slaw, and sw potato slices
- 3 -4 lbs beef brisket
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 quart water
- 4 -5 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown brisket in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add 1 quart water and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- (You can put this in a crockpot instead and cook it on low for 7-8 hours, checking water.) Drain, reserving 1 1/4 cups drippings in pan.
- Shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk flour and next 3 ingredients into reserved drippings; cook mixture, whisking constantly, over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in salsa and green chiles; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Stir in meat; cook, stirring occasionally, just until thoroughly heated.
- Yield: 6 1/2 cups.