Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is just as comforting as the original leftover beef-potato-gravy combination.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped drained canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 lb/250g)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Cut eggplants into 1-inch cubes.
- Place in sieve and sprinkle lightly with salt; set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and half of the garlic over medium heat, breaking up beef with spoon, for 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain off any fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to 12 cup (3L) casserole.
- Rinse and pat eggplant dry.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook eggplant, mushrooms, carrots, hot pepper flakes and remaining garlic for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in parsley.
- Spoon evenly over meat mixture.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Reserving water, drain well.
- Return potatoes to saucepan and dry out slightly over low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and salt and pepper to taste; beat until smooth, adding about 2 tablespoons.
- cooking water to make fluffy.
- Spread over vegetables.
- (Casserole can be prepared to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before heating.) Bake, uncovered, in 400 degrees F.
- (200C) oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until bubbly, covering top with foil if it gets too brown.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Bonnie Stern Cookbook.