Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very hearty and spicy comfort dish!
- 12 ounces shell pasta
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can navy beans, undrained (great northern substitute nicely)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled blue cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Cook pasta in large pot of salted water according to package instructions.
- In a small kettle cover chicken with water, add salt and simmer until cooked through.
- Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Save stock for later.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add scallions, cook 4 minutes or until wilted but not brown.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and chicken broth that you saved.
- Cover, bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Broccoli should be crisp-tender.
- Add undrained beans, salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper, stir gently.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain pasta, return to pot.
- Add the broccoli mixture and chicken.
- Increase heat to medium, add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add 1 cup cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
- Add additional 1/4 cup chicken stock if necessary to thin sauce.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the blue cheese and serve.
- Top with cherry tomatoes.
Great recipe! If you like spicy food and blue cheese this is the BEST recipe. A great dish for pot luck. I used mushrooms too! Will definitely make again. Served it with side salad. See photo.
This was terrific! I had to use white beans & didnt have enough blue cheese, but it was really good! I also chickened out on the whole tsp of pepper flakes & used only 1/2 and that was a mistake. Should have used it all. Definitely a keeper, especially for Fall/Winter. Thank you for sharing Christine!