Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From Jan 07 VT magazine. NOTE: the cabbage salad listed as an ingredient is actually kimchee. For some reason 'zaar would not let me list kimchee as an ingredient even under different spellings. I am posting the recipe as it appears in the magazine, but found that it was not terribly spicy and would make the following changes: double or triple the kimchee, and add some fresh grated ginger as well as red pepper flakes. Next time I will also cut back on the sesame oil or omit it, even though it adds a really great flavor it also is high in fat. The recipe warns you to check the label of the kimchee for fish sauce or anchovies, if you are vegetarian or don't like fish taste. Otherwise, we enjoyed this salad very much.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This was different, tasty, and very healthful. Because of the chef's comments I doubled the kimchee (a vegetarian brand from Whole Foods). I still think it could have used some pepper flakes on top of that. To cut back on the fat, I lowered the sesame oil, but I really like sesame oil so if you don't want to compromise on taste use it all. I might sprinkle on a little vinegar and soy sauce next time. Thanks!
Baked Sesame Tofu
- 453.59 g package extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 29.58 ml sesame seeds
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- cooking spray
Spicy Cabbage Salad
- 118.29 ml cabbage, salad chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped peanuts
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 946.36 ml coleslaw mix
- 170.09 g snow peas, sliced in half lengthwise (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make tofu:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss tofu with sesame seeds and oil in a large bowl until well coated.
- Spread cubes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until browned. Turn occasionally and let cool when done.
- To make salad:.
- Combine kimchee, peanuts, sesame oil in a large bowl. Add coleslaw mix, snow peas, carrots, onions, and baked tofu and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store up to two days in refrigerator.