Recipe by loof
This great recipe came from a December 1995 issue of Woman's Day magazine. It's so hearty and flavorful - great with garlic bread and a nice green salad.
Top Review by teresas
We loved this dish. I took Rita's suggestion and added the seafood to the sauce and omitted the butter, (saved on fat). This worked great. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8X8 inch pan. It made 4 large servings (cutting calories). I did crisp it up under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Great recipe and thanks for posting. :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 8 ounces large shrimp (raw)
- 16 ounces bay scallops
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried, but fresh is better)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Peel and devein the shrimp, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook about 2 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Stir in both cans of tomatoes (with juice), salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Crush tomatoes with a fork and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook penne for about 9 minutes, until slightly underdone. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter. Add shrimp and cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes, just until pink. Add scallops and stir 10 seconds, just until outsides are white. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add pasta, sauce, peas, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and basil. Stir to mix well.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Spoon pasta mixture into dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, until heated through and top is lightly browned.