Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a wonderful side dish to have with the Easter ham that you will be serving -
- 2 tablespoons . butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups wrm milk
- 1 cup havarti cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 l.b round red potatoes or 2 round round white potatoes or 2 round yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, slices drained (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, for 3-5 minute or until beginning to boil and thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, salt, oregano, cumin and pepper until smooth; set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Arrange one-third of the slices into greased 8-inch baking dish. Spread with half of the salsa.
- Repeat layers once and layer remaining potato slices on top. Pour cheese sauce over top and around sides to cover evenly and reach bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle with pickled jalapeno peppers, if using.
- Cover with foil or lid and bake in a 375F oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.