Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Bay Scallops draped across a mound of black beans, corn, mangoes and red onion. From the Daily Press Newpspaper in Newport News, VA
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, minced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, fresh, cooked, kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 lb bay scallops or 1⁄2 lb sea scallops
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces greens, field (or coarsely chopped romaine lettuce)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped (remove ribs for less heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, minced
- Combine the black beans, mango, red onion, green onion, garlic, and corn. Toss with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (recipe follows).
- Pat the scallops dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a nonstick pan. Add the scallops in batches to avoid overcrowding. Cook, flipping once, until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Do Not Overcook!
- On a large shallow platter, place the greens or lettuce. Top with the bean mixture, then place scallops on top. Garnish with additional minced cilantro, if desired.
- For Dressing:.
- Put evoo, red wine vinegar, lime juice, jalapeno peppers, garlic, dijon mustard, honey, black pepper, cumin, and sea salt into a blender, puree until smooth. Stir in cilantro, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. If not using right away, shake before serving.