Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Mummmm, I had this at my neighbors bbq. It was excellent. I begged for the recipe until she gave it up. It's so simple, I'm sharing it with all of you. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. Please note cooking time is chilling time.
- In a small pot boil water and sugar, once boiling, add the basil stems, chili and lemon zest and remove from heat.
- All the syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Then you can refrigerate the simple syrup for anywhere 15 minutes or up to 24 hours. The longer it sits the more flavor you will get.
- Remove the basil stems from the syrup and discard.
- In a large bowl toss the melon with the chilled syrup.
- Add the remaining salt, the white pepper if using and the basil leaves, toss gently .
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
What a wonderful surprise! I'll be sharing this with my honeydew loving sister as soon as possible! I'm sure it would be great with the cantaloupe that awalde used as well. I let my syrup sit for about 5 hours, and think that may be just about right.....scared it might be overpowering if it sat longer. Made for 123 Tag. Thanks for sharing!
Kato, we all loved the recipe, as well as my guest!
I used an Italian melon (I don't know the name) real ripe for this.
I used a combination of normal basil and an other similar to the sweet thai basil, the sauce had time to soak a for 3 hours! Finally the sauce was parfumed, hot but not tooo much.
I served the ingredients (melon, salt, pepper, basil and syrup) on the table and everybody arranged this in his dish. I forgot the olive oil, sorry!
Delicious and "special"!
Thanks a lot!
This was fantastic. Such a tasty way to serve melon. It was perfect for our bbq. Thanks for sharing the recipe.