Recipe by Baby Kato
Mummmm, I had this at my neighbors bbq. It was excellent. I begged for the recipe until she gave it up. It's so simple, I'm sharing it with all of you. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. Please note cooking time is chilling time.
Top Review by breezermom
What a wonderful surprise! I'll be sharing this with my honeydew loving sister as soon as possible! I'm sure it would be great with the cantaloupe that awalde used as well. I let my syrup sit for about 5 hours, and think that may be just about right.....scared it might be overpowering if it sat longer. Made for 123 Tag. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, white
- 1⁄3 cup basil, stems seperated, leaves torn seperated
- 1 tablespoon red chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 cups honeydew melon, chopped 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sea
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot boil water and sugar, once boiling, add the basil stems, chili and lemon zest and remove from heat.
- All the syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Then you can refrigerate the simple syrup for anywhere 15 minutes or up to 24 hours. The longer it sits the more flavor you will get.
- Remove the basil stems from the syrup and discard.
- In a large bowl toss the melon with the chilled syrup.
- Add the remaining salt, the white pepper if using and the basil leaves, toss gently .
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.