Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Exotically spiced spinach that will add a kick to any meal.
- 2 bunches spinach (about 1 pound after removing stems)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash spinach well in several changes of cold water and remove the stems.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan, saute the onion until golden, then stir in the garlic and ginger, and saute for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the seeds, ground spices and salt and mix well.
- Toss in the spinach with only the water that remains on the leaves after washing.
- Heat very low and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the spinach is cooked (it may be necessary to add a little more water to prevent spinach sticking to pan).