Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you love chunky home-made sauces and sausage then THIS is for you!! I love making this one and placing it in the Crock-pot for the last simmer time, an hour makes it really thick.
- 453.59 g penne pasta
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml chili pepper (opt. for hotness)
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml vodka
- 118.29 ml heavy whipping cream
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 198.44-340.19 g hot Italian sausage (your preference of chunkiness)
- salt and pepper
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook al dente.
- In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Remove casting from sausage and add to skillet. Cook breaking up the meat, until brown. Drain if necessary.
- Add onions, garlic and red & chili pepper to and cook, stirring until garlic and onion are golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minute (cook longer to thicken).
- Add vodka and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer 30 more minute
- Top plate of penne with cream sauce and add fresh parsley!
This is my daughter's fave pasta recipe. We use Morningstar Farms Crumblers -- 1 pkg and add a few spices instead of using sausage since we can't mix milk and meat (kosher.) It turns out great every time -- and I've made this several times. It's so easy and worth the effort (little that there is.) Thanks for sharing!!!
I love this dish.
Fantastic as is. One of my "go to" recipes.