If you love chunky home-made sauces and sausage then THIS is for you!! I love making this one and placing it in the Crock-pot for the last simmer time, an hour makes it really thick.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper (opt. for hotness)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 7 -12 ounces hot Italian sausage (your preference of chunkiness)
- salt and pepper
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook al dente.
- In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Remove casting from sausage and add to skillet. Cook breaking up the meat, until brown. Drain if necessary.
- Add onions, garlic and red & chili pepper to and cook, stirring until garlic and onion are golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minute (cook longer to thicken).
- Add vodka and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer 30 more minute
- Top plate of penne with cream sauce and add fresh parsley!