Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Best Simple Recipes, American Test Kitchens.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel tomatoes and green chilies, mild
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4-5minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with green onions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown and bubbly.
Absolutely fantastic! I was worried about cooking the macaroni in the sauce vs in water but it came out perfectly! We love dishes like this. Made for Aussie Swap 3/13.