In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausage, removed from its casing
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1Heat 1 T oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 2Add sausage and brown well, breaking up large pieces with wooden spoon, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 3Pour off all but 2 T fat left in skillet.
- 4Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes to fat left in skillet and cook over med-high heat until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 5Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 6Stir crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce into slow cooker.
- 7Cover and cook until sauce is deeply flavored, 9-11 hours on LOW for 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- 8Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 9Microwave bell peppers with remaining tablespoon oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 10Stir softened bell peppers into sauce and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 11Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Sausage Ragu With Red Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (4100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.6
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 1378.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 17.7 g