Recipe by awmeme
Spicy sausage, pepper and onions. Takes very little prep time and is great for potlucks. Inexpensive and makes alot. Very delicious kids and adults both liked it is very filling. I first took it to a church game night that was just supposed to be snack food but knew I would want something a little more filling than chips had several requests for the recipe. Which made me have to think because when I first made it I used what I had in the house. This is what I remember using. I used Bar-S brand polish sausage which is just a cheap sausage a pack of 3 lbs is about $4 ( found in with the hot dogs in the refrigerated section lunch meats and stuff). Could be used as an entree ( just serve it on a whole bun) snack or starter for a party I think.
Top Review by Chef Traci #2865
I did 4 hours on high in the crock pot. Prior review is correct - a little much for the pepper and onion. Just miss the brown color they usually get when I make them in the oven. However, a great alternative to making it all stove top! -
- 2 lbs sausages
- 1 large green pepper, chopped (large dice)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped red pepper (large dice)
- 1 large onion, chopped (large dice)
- 1 1⁄4 cups spicy barbecue sauce (Stubb's is the one I used)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄8 cup mustard
- 16 hot dog buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each sausage into bite size pieces (fourths or fifths is what I did).
- Put the peppers, onion, bar-b-que sauce, ketchup, mustard and water in a bowl. Stir together. Pour half of the sauce in a crock pot.
- Add sausages stir
- Add rest of sauce.
- Cook on high at least 3 hrs (longer it cooks the thicker the sauce gets and the better it tastes) stirring about once a hour.
- Cut hot dog buns in half
- Serve mixture on buns and enjoy.