Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The kind that can be whipped up in thirty minutes or less from start to finish and only mess up one dish. And of course, they need to knock-my-socks-off with flavor as well! I am so in love with this spicy, creamy, cheesy pasta for all of those reasons. It is just packed with so many incredible flavors. This came from Kevin & Amanda. When I made this recipe I made minor changes to the recipe. I used vegetable oil, mozzarella flavored sausages, half & half, and cheddar cheese. Next time I plan to not use Rotel as this was a bit to spicy for my families taste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel tomatoes and green chilies, Mild
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced scallion
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.
I found this recipe on Kevin and Amanda and made it with hot Italian turkey sausage. It was a hit with the whole family, but especially DH and DS. I used a 12 oz box of Farfelle, so more pasta than what it calls for, so I added more cream to ensure there was enough to cook the pasta - it was a little bit al dente, but still amazing. I also skip the broil step because I don't have a stove top to oven safe saute pan either.
This was delicious...I omitted the cream and it was still divine. I processed the Rotel as we don't like tomato chunks in our sauce and added homemade chicken broth which reduced the sodium. Next time I will omit the pasta and serve with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. We'll be having this often. Thank you for posting
Delicious!! The only thing I couldn't do was the last step where you broil the cheese on top since my pans can't go in the oven. But I mixed lots of cheese throughout, and am just in heaven!!