The kind that can be whipped up in thirty minutes or less from start to finish and only mess up one dish. And of course, they need to knock-my-socks-off with flavor as well! I am so in love with this spicy, creamy, cheesy pasta for all of those reasons. It is just packed with so many incredible flavors. This came from Kevin & Amanda. When I made this recipe I made minor changes to the recipe. I used vegetable oil, mozzarella flavored sausages, half & half, and cheddar cheese. Next time I plan to not use Rotel as this was a bit to spicy for my families taste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel tomatoes and green chilies, Mild
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced scallion
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.
I found this recipe on Kevin and Amanda and made it with hot Italian turkey sausage. It was a hit with the whole family, but especially DH and DS. I used a 12 oz box of Farfelle, so more pasta than what it calls for, so I added more cream to ensure there was enough to cook the pasta - it was a little bit al dente, but still amazing. I also skip the broil step because I don't have a stove top to oven safe saute pan either.
This was delicious...I omitted the cream and it was still divine. I processed the Rotel as we don't like tomato chunks in our sauce and added homemade chicken broth which reduced the sodium. Next time I will omit the pasta and serve with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. We'll be having this often. Thank you for posting
Delicious!! The only thing I couldn't do was the last step where you broil the cheese on top since my pans can't go in the oven. But I mixed lots of cheese throughout, and am just in heaven!!