Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by aronsinvest
I have made this many times and it always turns out fabulous. My Aunt & Uncle came to dinner when i made it last and they both said this was the best meal they had in a LONG time. It is easy and 30 minutes to boot. Glad you posted for others to try. They sure don't know what they are missing. :)
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- black pepper
- 340.19 g hot Italian sausage
- 340.19 g sweet Italian sausage
- 226.79 g ground beef
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 118.29 ml pecorino romano cheese
- 54.43 g pancetta, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml beef stock
- 411.06 g canpetite-diced tomatoes
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil; when oil is hot, add the bell pepper, half the onion, celery, and carrots; stir/saute 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, then remove to a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage and ground beef with the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, and cooled sauteed vegetables; mix well.
- Form 4 large oval-shaped patties no more than 1 ¼ inches thick; arrange patties on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle patties with a little olive oil; bake 17-18 minutes, until cooked through.
- Heat a saucepan over med-high heat; add a drizzle of olive oil, and then add the pancetta.
- Let the pancetta crisp up a bit and render its fat, then add the remaining chopped onion and the garlic; cook 8-10 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in the beef stock and tomatoes; season the sauce heavily with ground black pepper.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; decrease heat to low.
- Serve meatloaf patties topped with the Italian barbecue sauce and a green salad alongside, if desired.