Cook1 hr 10 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com I think you will find this very like the soup served at Carrabba's Restaurant. It is exceptional, indeed.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, spicy hot and in bulk
- 7 cups water
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Add onion, carrot, garlic, and sausage to the pot, Saute for 8 minutes, stirring often. Break up the sausage into small bits as it cooks.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.