Recipe by Chef Mandy Sue
Hearty creole classic slimmed down. I found this in Good Housekeeping Magazine "healthy in a hurry" section. I substituted a can of tomato soup for the stewed tomatoes and it was excellent.
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 green peppers or 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 8 ounces chicken tenders, each cut crosswise in half
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 12-inch skillet on medium until hot. Add sausage and peppers, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, rice chicken, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is just tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in green onions.