Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This chile has lots of zip. The heat can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the hot peppers or by using mild Italian sausage. The cinnamon adds a nice flavor.This tastes even better if made a day ahead.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- hot sauce or red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can kidney beans or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- Steam sausage in casings to remove excess fat.
- Let cool and slice into bite sized pieces.
- In large pot brown sausage and blot away almost all the fat.
- Add spices and stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add onions,garlic,peppers and celery stirring until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and simmer until thickened.