Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My BF and I decided to improvise in the kitchen tonight and came up with this wonderful soup. It has a bit of a kick but awesome flavor. We both stuffed ourselves. All measurements are estimated, we were having too much fun throwing things in the pot. :)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g Italian sausage, casings removed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml sage
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1419.54 ml water
- 29.58-44.37 ml chicken bouillon granules
- 118.29 ml instant rice
- In a large pot, saute cabbage and onion in butter and olive oil on HIGH heat until onions start to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until sausage is done and cabbage is tender.
- Add rice and return heat to HIGH. Simmer uncovered until rice is cooked.
O.K. I never rate anything but this was amazing. I made it for the first time and my husband had four bowls. That's not like him at all. I used Pickapeppa sauce instead of red pepper flakes. Will definately make this again!
Great alternative to the typical Sour Kraut and Sausage for your New Year's Day meal. I wanted something spicier so this recipe was perfect. If you like the heat, try spicy Italian sausage. I browned the sausage and added slightly browned cubed potatoes. Used 1 of the 2 teaspoons of garlic when sautéing the cabbage and onions. Used tomato bouillon instead of chicken bouillon.1 teaspoon a red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Good heat. A full head of cabbage would be fine too. Overall, it was easy and tasty. I will probably make this again. Thanks!
Awesome! Didn't use sage, and used sweet italian links, a whole head of cabbage, 2 cans of tomatoes, already cooked rice and 2 cups of extra broth. So easy! Cooked the sausage first in the pot, added onion, then dumped the cabbage in, followed by the other ingredients.