Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A friend traded me this recipe for my oxtail split-pea soup. I've got to say, for a quick and easy recipe (less than an hour to table), it really packs a wallop! The use of spicy sausage is key here, as well as the fennel seed, dill seed, and fresh dill, and using canned beets makes it *so* much less work than it would be otherwise. I think maybe I got the better part of the trade....
- In a large saucepan over medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and cook until just starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it up, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add fennel and dill seeds and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer.
- While stock heats, fit a food processor with the large grating attachment. Grate the beets. Add beets and any liquid in the processor to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and served topped with sour cream and dill.