Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Inspired by Iowa Girl Eat's Spicy Sausage Pasta, this is slightly spicier, with added vegetables and some nutritional yeast. Flexible and vary according to what you have on hand. Delicious comfort food at its best! Tastes even better as leftovers. I use whatever sausage I have on hand-family loved it with chicken Andouille sausage, spicy Cajun, etc.
- 2 zucchini, diced thinly
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 ounces sausage (sliced or cut into small dice)
- 16 ounces dry rotini pasta
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 20 ounces rotel tomatoes & bell peppers (2 cans)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 -6 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese, diced (optional but delicious, can substitute any melting cheese)
- 2 -3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- Heat oil in your largest saute pan or a stock pan until shimmering. Add zucchini and onions, saute over medium-high until softened.
- Add garlic and sausage. Cook until slightly curled, about 3-4 minutes being careful not to overcook it.
- Turn heat up to high and add Rotel, 3 C chicken broth, half & half, and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and add pasta, add additional cup of chicken broth if needed. Stir to combine and place lid on pot.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente, stirring a couple of times. Add spinach, nutritional yeast, and cheese, stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.