Recipe by franja
Sauce can be used as a chutney, marinade or dip. Quantities can be varied to suit your own taste. I MUST HAVE MADE A TYPO IN THIS because I've lost the original and used this one - and the vinegar hit is way too much. I'm looking everywhere for my original and will correct this when I find it. In the meantime if you decide to make the Chicken dish, I recommend you approach the vinegar bottle with caution! Sauce can still be made and stored as the vinegar 'hit' diminishes with storage. After 3 weeks storage you have a very spicy chutney, great with cheese and at the optimum level for making the chicken dish...sorry about the typo...I will try harder in future!
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons oil (or 1/2 tbsp ghee)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (worcestershire sauce may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onions, chillies & garlic in oil til onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Bring to boil.
- Mix mustard with water and add to pan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- The sauce/chutney should now be bottled for 3 weeks before making the chicken dish.
- Place a layer of 'sauce' in flame proof oven proof dish. Place chicken on top in a single layer and cover with more of the sauce.
- Bake in the oven gas 6 200C (180C fan oven) for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Either serve like this or place under hot grill for a few minutes to caramelise the topping.
- Serve with a mixed salad.