Recipe by AniSarit
I love it served on a bed of white rice; but for the timid, serve with boiled potatoes and sour cream to balance the fire.
- 1 lb salmon fillet, cut into 4 individual slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, crushed and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup paprika
- 1⁄3 cup hot paprika (hot paprika in oil is better, or cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In an ovenproof frying pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent and tender.
- Add red bell pepper, chopped tomatoes and cilantro, and continue sauteeing until everything is tender.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, add the canned diced tomatoes, paprikas, cumin, salt, pepper, and water. Mix well.
- Add half this mixture to the pan, and cook for a few minutes more.
- Sprinkle the salmon with a tbsp or so of the hot paprika/cayenne, and rub it in the salmon.
- Add the salmon, skin side down, and cook for about 10min, until salmon looks cooked through about half the thickness.
- On top of the salmon, add the rest of the tomato-spice mixture (now nearly all the salmon should be in sauce), and continue to cook the salmon for a few minutes more - total around 10minutes.
- Pour lemon juice over the salmon, cover the pan with a lid, and cook till salmon is ready, about 5min.
- Remove cover and place pan in oven, and broil for around 7 minutes.
- Enjoy! (Don't forget to have a cup of ice water near).