Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from Southern Living...tried, true and guaranteed delicious. For convience keep a supply of the seasoning mix on hand.
SPICY SEASONING MIX
- 2 1⁄2-3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional but I wouldn't leave it out)
SECRET BARBECUE SAUCE
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion (dried)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning, mix (see above recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (2 to 3 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix together Spicy Seasoning Mix reserving 1 tablespoon for the Secret Barbecue Sauce.
- For the sauce combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Wash and pat chicken pieces dry. Rub fryers with oil then sprinkle generously Spicy Seasoning Mix on all sides.
- Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium coals for 20 minutes. Turn and grill 20 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush chicken often with sauce.
Excellent BBQ chicken!!! I have to agree with mikekey, it all balances out perfectly with the spices and sauce!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!! Made for Holiday Tag Game.
Okay, this is one of those 10-STAR recipes for sure! The citrus/sweetness of the sauce balances the zip in the rub. I did cut the amount of salt in the seasoning mix in half, though. I used thigh and breast pieces and put them in a grill basket on the outdoor rotisserie. Chicken was juicy and so tasty! I think this would be great on a pork tenderloin also! Made for Kittencalskitchen grilling tag game.
I'll admit I was nervous...that's a lot of ketchup! I wonder if freshly minced onion would be better? I 'grilled' mine in the oven. WELL! The end result was falling off the bone deliciousness! I left 1 piece of chicken without sauce so I could rate the spice mix - excellent! Everybody was very happy slurping their fingers....made for Aussie Swap 5/10.