Recipe by gailanng
Adapted from Southern Living...tried, true and guaranteed delicious. For convience keep a supply of the seasoning mix on hand.
Top Review by diner524
Excellent BBQ chicken!!! I have to agree with mikekey, it all balances out perfectly with the spices and sauce!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!! Made for Holiday Tag Game.
SPICY SEASONING MIX
- 2 1⁄2-3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional but I wouldn't leave it out)
SECRET BARBECUE SAUCE
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion (dried)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning, mix (see above recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (2 to 3 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together Spicy Seasoning Mix reserving 1 tablespoon for the Secret Barbecue Sauce.
- For the sauce combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Wash and pat chicken pieces dry. Rub fryers with oil then sprinkle generously Spicy Seasoning Mix on all sides.
- Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium coals for 20 minutes. Turn and grill 20 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush chicken often with sauce.