Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made Miss Annies Slow-Cooked Sugared Butternut and had the seeds left over so I couldn't throw them out. You can use pumpkin! I like the taste of the seeds without prewashing and drying them.(One less step).
- 4 butternut squash (seeds removed from fibers) or 1 pumpkin, seeds removed from fibers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- I just remove the fibers do not wash.
- Place on cookie sheet with spices and butter in a mound.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees till butter is melted about one minute.
- Lower oven to 300 degrees, mix and spread seed into single layer and bake till crisp about 30-40 minutes.
I made a a stuffed pumpkin tonight and staring at the pile of seeds I said "I wonder if recipezaar has a pumpkin seed recipe..." This one caught my eye and lucky it did because it was great! I actually melted the butter and spices in a bowl, stirred in the seeds and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Couldn't be easier!
I also used just one butternut squash (which I made a casserole out of) but I had about 1 cup of seeds. I still adjusted the seasonings to account for 1 squash and we really enjoyed the results! I like squash seeds better than pumpkin, and I always LOVED pumpkin seeds! Thanks Rita, great recipe!
Really good! Next time I think I'll mix the spices and melted butter together with the seeds in a bowl like another reviewer suggested. The spices were great, but didn't get disbursed evenly mixing everything together on the baking sheet.