Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A brilliant way to cook fresh pumpkin; oven roasted with olive oil, cumin & black pepper - this makes a lovely Autumn vegetable side dish AND also freezes well too. I ALWAYS make my pumpkin soup from this roasted pumpkin, it gives it a richer & deeper flavour that you don't often get with tinned or boiled pumpkin. I add cumin powder OR seeds, but this recipe works well with other herbs and spices too - the choice is yours!
- 2 lbs fresh pumpkin, peeled & seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400°F.
- Quarter and then carefully peel and seed the pumpkin.
- Cut into chunky 2" cubes.
- Place pumpkin into a large & sturdy roasting tray.
- Add the olive oil, salt, pepper & cumin - mix well, making sure that all the pumpkin pieces are coated in olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft & also tinged brown at the edges.
- Serve with a main meal as the vegetable dish OR freeze for future savoury pumpkin recipes. I also make soup from this - as well as pasta dishes too - recipes to be posted for those!
So good - you can't beat oven-roasted veggies for maxed-out flavour. I did a combo of pumpkin and sweet potato and zucchini and added a bit of chile powder in place of all the black pepper.
This was good with just the pumpkin- but you got to try it with sweet potatoes in it too- they compliment each other great and makes an 'ok dish' superb. I also added a lil' bit of crumbled dry sweet basil. Thanx for the idea- I didn't want to make soup or pie with my pumpkin.
I thought this would be great with two of my favourite flavours - pumpkin and cumin (although I never thought of putting them together. I was disappointed. It cooked up nicely, but it tasted just blah. The pumpkin (perhaps it was my choice of pumpkin) had no flavour, so basically all we could taste was the taste of toasted cumin. It needed something to balance the cumin. I tried adding a splash of lime juice at serving time, but it did nothing for it. Some have said that sweet potatoes are a welcome addition. It definitely needs "something". Will try again with sweet potatoes.