A brilliant way to cook fresh pumpkin; oven roasted with olive oil, cumin & black pepper - this makes a lovely Autumn vegetable side dish AND also freezes well too. I ALWAYS make my pumpkin soup from this roasted pumpkin, it gives it a richer & deeper flavour that you don't often get with tinned or boiled pumpkin. I add cumin powder OR seeds, but this recipe works well with other herbs and spices too - the choice is yours!
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400°F.
- Quarter and then carefully peel and seed the pumpkin.
- Cut into chunky 2" cubes.
- Place pumpkin into a large & sturdy roasting tray.
- Add the olive oil, salt, pepper & cumin - mix well, making sure that all the pumpkin pieces are coated in olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft & also tinged brown at the edges.
- Serve with a main meal as the vegetable dish OR freeze for future savoury pumpkin recipes. I also make soup from this - as well as pasta dishes too - recipes to be posted for those!