Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
Nothing like roast chicken, I love this recipe as its a bit different from the norm. The original recipe called for pork mince, but I chose to substitute chicken, and it works great.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken
- 250 g pork mince or 250 g ground chicken
- 3 small dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil, extra
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grind chillies, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and salt in food processor until blended to powder.
- Rub the skin and cavity of chicken with garlic.
- Heat oil in wok or frying pan and cook onions for 3 minutes, then add mince and cook until browned, approx 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice, mint and coriander and allow to cool slightly, before stuffing the chicken.
- Secure opening with skewers or tie legs together.
- Brush chicken with oil and rub the skin with spice mixture.
- Bake chicken on roasting rack in baking dish for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and baste with coconut milk and pan juices.
- Bake for 40 more minutes, or until tender, basting frequently.
Spinner, this was a really good chicken dish. We used 2x1.2kg chickens, and doubled the stuffing mix, which we made with the pork mince. Even the people who normally don't like stuffing loved the mince. I did add about a teaspoon of salt to that mixture, and a little more to the spice mix that goes over the chickens. The smaller chcikens cooked in about 1 hour. We have some stuffing mix left over, so I plan to thicken it a little with cornstarch, add waterchestnuts and beenshoots and serve it in lettuce cups as an appetiser tomorrow. Only one small complaint, the recipe was hard to follow-it would be easier if the ingredients were listed listed as the recipe steps go.