2 hrs 45 mins
Recipe by Adam Perry Lang from 100 Tastes to try in '08, originally appeared in F&W, 01/2008 edition. Chickens raised on grass have such superior taste that Adam Perry Lang of NYC’s Daisy May’s BBQ USA wants to get into chicken farming. *This is what I would like - not that I am going to get it real soon; I'd first have to find the chickens!*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lbs pastured chicken
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers, sliced (plus 1/4 cup of the brine strained into a spray bottle)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1PREPARE THE CHICKEN:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 3In a blender, puree the Dijon mustard, water, chile powder, half of the garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sage, 1/2 teaspoon of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- 4Place the chicken breast side up in an ovenproof skillet; coat with the mixture.
- 5Bake the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- 6Spray the chicken with the jalapeno brine; bake for 5 more minutes.
- 7Let rest for 10 minutes.
- 8In a skillet, cook the jalapenos, parsley, lemon juice, the remaining garlic and the remaining sage in the butter and remaining oil over moderate heat until fragrant.
- 9MAKE THE TOPPING:.
- 10In a skillet, brown the garlic in the oil over moderate heat; discard the garlic.
- 11Add the bread crumbs, zest, parsley and cayenne and stir until the crumbs are crisp.
- 12Season with salt.
- 13Top the chicken with the jalapeno butter, sprinkle with the crumbs and serve with a full-bodied, tropical-fruited Chardonnay: 2005 Hess Monterey.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.3
- Calories from Fat 599
- Total Fat 66.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 222.2 mg
- Sodium 647.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 56.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of