1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This dish is very flavorful and easy to make. It has been a favorite of our family for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, Sliced
- 1 red pepper, Chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, Crushed
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 (700 ml) jars tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 5 cups rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees celcius.
- 2In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 3Add red pepper, garlic, and fennel seeds. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until onions are soft and golden.
- 4Transfer to bowl.
- 5Remove sausage from casings and brown the crumbled sausage meat, about 8 minutes.
- 6Drain off the fat.
- 7Stir in pasta sauce and vinegar.
- 8Return vegetable mixture to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes, or until tender but firm.
- 10Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- 11Combine mozzarella and parmesan cheese, set 1 cup aside.
- 12Stir remaining cheese into pasta mixture.
- 13Pour into 13X9 inch glass baking dish, pressing pasta to submerge.
- 14Sprinkle with reserved cheese and parsley.
- 15Bake, covered, in oven for 30 - 45 minutes, uncover and continue for another 15 minutes or until golden.
- 16To make ahead: let cool in refrigerator, cover and refrigerate for up to one day. Or, overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks; thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Rigatoni Bake
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.6
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 915.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomato and basil pasta sauce