Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This dish is very flavorful and easy to make. It has been a favorite of our family for years.
Make and share this Spicy Rigatoni Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, Sliced
- 1 red pepper, Chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, Crushed
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 (700 ml) jars tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 5 cups rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees celcius.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper, garlic, and fennel seeds. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until onions are soft and golden.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Remove sausage from casings and brown the crumbled sausage meat, about 8 minutes.
- Drain off the fat.
- Stir in pasta sauce and vinegar.
- Return vegetable mixture to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes, or until tender but firm.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Combine mozzarella and parmesan cheese, set 1 cup aside.
- Stir remaining cheese into pasta mixture.
- Pour into 13X9 inch glass baking dish, pressing pasta to submerge.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese and parsley.
- Bake, covered, in oven for 30 - 45 minutes, uncover and continue for another 15 minutes or until golden.
- To make ahead: let cool in refrigerator, cover and refrigerate for up to one day. Or, overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks; thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours.