Recipe by ladypit
A nice healthy side dish with no added fat, this is slightly modified from "500 Fat Free Recipes" by Sarah Schlesinger. This makes a nice side dish for baked fish or chicken, but is also good cold! Feel free to modify the dried fruit if you would like.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped prune (dried plums)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large dry pan ove medium heat.
- Add the rice and stir it, dry, for 5 minutes.
- Add the juice and water, the vanilla, the allspice and lemon rind.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the fruit and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Put a top on, leaving it slightly open, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add more apple juice (or water) if it is needed.
- Serve warm or cold.