These are really good either straight from the pan or thawed and reheated. I don't think many meat lovers will miss the meat in these. I just ate them plain, but you could freeze them with sauce and reheat the whole recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (I used brown)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 onion, finely chopped (be sure to chop this very finely, or your meatballs won't hold together well!)
- 1/4 cup dry packaged breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I used at least 1/2 tsp)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (I ran out of wheat germ halfway through and used quick oats. Not the same, but it worked ok!)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except wheat germ and vegetable oil. Again, make sure you REALLY chopped your onions very finely or they will make your "meat"balls fall apart.
- 2Cover and chill mixture well, at least 1 hour, in fridge.
- 3Shape mixture into meatballs and roll each in wheat germ/oats (my last resort, but they turned out fine!) to coat.
- 4Heat oil in a (preferably) nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 5Cook the meatballs in the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning carefully, until light golden brown.
- 6Drain meatballs on paper towels.
- 7Flash freeze on a pan in the freezer, then put in freezer bags. To reheat, microwave for a few minutes or put on pan and reheat in oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- 8Or, gently mix meatballs with spaghetti sauce (jarred or homemade) and place in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags and freeze. To serve this way, just thaw a bit in the fridge and then reheat and serve with pasta.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Rice Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.9
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 52.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.9 g