Recipe by MamaCoop
These meatballs have the most wonderful blend of flavor and spices - you won't miss the meat! To test for flavor, make a 'test meatball'. Form one meatball then fry or bake it until done. Taste it to see if it needs more seasoning. This applies to every recipe: season to taste.
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice or 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats, ground
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, if frying
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except wheat germ and vegetable oil. Cover and chill mixture well, at least 1 hour, in fridge. Shape mixture into meatballs and roll each in wheat germ to coat.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs in the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning carefully, until light golden brown.
- Or place meatballs on a sprayed baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-35 minutes until the balls are hot and golden brown.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels. Gently mix meatballs with one 28-oz. jar of spaghetti sauce and place in heavy duty zip lock freezer bags. Freeze. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are hot all the way through. Serve over cooked spaghetti.