Recipe by WindLass
Good to make ahead and freeze. I got this from somewhere, but I don't remember where. If this is your recipe, let me know and I'll be glad to credit you.
Top Review by Marce79
This recipe was very similar to one in my betty crocker cook book. I used 1 cup brown rice cooked in 2 cups beef broth for the cooked rice. Next time I wouldn't roll the rice balls in wheat germ. The wheat germ has a strong flavor that I don't like. Maybe roll them in whole wheat flour or corn meal. I will be making this again. I think it's a good lower calorie alternative to meat balls.
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except wheat germ and vegetable oil.
- Chill mixture well, at least 1 hour in fridge.
- Shape mixture into meatballs and roll each in wheat germ to coat.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs in the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning carefully, until light golden brown.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels.
- Serve with whatever sauce you'd like.