Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Low-fat, healthy, and delicious!! We serve this as a side dish but you can make it a main dish by adding cooked meats or top it with your favorite gumbo, jambalaya, red beans, stroganoff or stir-fry....you're only limited by your imagination. I really encourage you to use kale but you can substitute fresh spinach if kale is not available. I never use store-bought cajun seasoning (to salty and not spicy enough for us). There are some great cajun seasoning recipes on this site and you can control the salt. Kale is VERY nutritious and this is another way to sneak veggies into your meals. You can also make it vegetarian by using the vegetable broth. We love it!
- 2 1⁄4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 2 1⁄4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (to taste)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 4 ounces kale, stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 2 cups packed or 1/2 of a large bunch)
- Bring broth and Cajun seasoning to a boil in a large heavy saucepan.
- Stir in rice and kale and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes for white rice and 30 minutes for brown rice.
What a great recipe! We love Kale and I could have eaten the whole pot by myself! Thanks for a grat new side dish.
This recipe is awesome. This is how I'm going to make rice from here on out.
Excellent! I loved it. Received Kale in a Boutiful Basket. The next night I added a small can of
mixed vegies, shaved fresh carrots and onions and had a 2nd meal. Very good.