Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Eat Better America. Sounds yummy--here for safekeeping.
- 3⁄4 cup instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves (fresh or 1 tsp dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- In 10-inch skillet, heat all ingredients to boiling, breaking up tomatoes and stirring frequently; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer about 10 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
I used a red bell pepper, 1 small onion. With the 14 1/2 ounces can of tomatoes, there was not enough liquid. So I added more tomatoes. But even with that, we didn't like the taste. Maybe it would be better to cook the pepper, onion, garlic and then after add the other ingredients. This would add more taste. Thanks MsSally. Made for Market tag.
Aww MsSally -- this was a wonderful Friday night dish for me...I added 1/2 pound of ground meat, and used long-cooking rice and frozen BEpeas with snaps. It was very quick and easy to put together, and the flavors were delish. I let it simmer for 45 minutes to let the rice get done (and I used the amount of liquid called for to cook the rice), and I think that let the flavors really come out. DH got home late, had already had dinner, but had a GIANT bowl of this too. We really loved it. Thanks for a great recipe. Made and reviewed for FOOTBALL POOL 2008, MsSally's week #4 win. This goes in the KEEPER cookbook :)
No complaints here! I sorta screwed it up by using regular brown rice, which I tried to partially cook before adding the rest. So it was my own fault that it had to cook a lot longer, but still this was very easy and tasty, with lots of salad. May I add that I used 3 large cloves of garlic?!!! Heehee. made for Holiday tag.