Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister and I used to refer to this as just 'Hot Rice'. Great quick dish, very filling. For lower fat, use lean ground beef or turkey.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, medium size,chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups rice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- soy sauce
- Brown ground beef in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add onion and chili powder during browning and drain off excess grease when done.
- Add rice, water, brown sugar, cayenne and soy sauce and stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked and water is gone, stirring occasionally.
I loved this recipe but I used beef broth instead of water and I added a can of drained black beans. I did use more broth then the recipe called for. I served with Texas Toast.