Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These streusel topped muffins are nice and moist and have a refreshing tartness from bits of rhubarb.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely diced rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- STREUSEL TOPPING: In food processor, chop pecans finely and add flour, sugar, and butter; process until fine.
- MUFFINS: In large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla until thick and foamy. Stir in rhubarb and nuts.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and nutmeg. Gradually add to rhubarb mixture, stirring gently just to blend.
- Spoon into 24 greased muffin cups. Sprinkle some of the streusel topping over each muffin and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Makes 24 muffins.
- If fresh rhubarb is unavailable, substitute frozen, defrosted and drained.
- Just The Best Favourite Recipes from Canada’s Top Food Writers.