Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Regular refried beans are boring to me now that I've discovered this recipe. This is what I always make when having mexican food now!
- 6 slices bacon, sliced into strips
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Saute bacon on medium-high heat until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp of the bacon drippings and saute the onions, garlic and chili until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return bacon to pan, add pinto beans, water, lime juice, hot sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes until beans begin to break down.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.