Cook1 hr 20 mins
This Mediterranean dish can be served with bread or crackers as an appetizer, and it's also great as a sandwich filling.
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, tender-roasted (use Tender Roasted Bell Peppers to roast the peppers)
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut roasted peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss together all ingredients in a large roasting pan, then spread evenly.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool before serving.
- Cooks' note:.
- Confit can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and stir before serving.
- **Cook time does not include letting the roasted peppers steam for 15 minutes, after broiling or allowing the confit to cool before serving.
Simple and super good! Had it with elbow pasta didn't change a thing. Recommended for all first timers making eggplant.
Exceptional! I used it as a side dish and everyone at the table enjoyed it. Holds up well in fridge as leftovers.
Used it as appetizer with crackers. Added a small sliced onion. Would be good with bread and maybe pasta. Edited: to add tried it on a bagel today, 6 stars.