Cook1 hr 20 mins
This Mediterranean dish can be served with bread or crackers as an appetizer, and it's also great as a sandwich filling.
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, tender-roasted (use Tender Roasted Bell Peppers to roast the peppers)
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut roasted peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss together all ingredients in a large roasting pan, then spread evenly.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool before serving.
- Cooks' note:.
- Confit can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and stir before serving.
- **Cook time does not include letting the roasted peppers steam for 15 minutes, after broiling or allowing the confit to cool before serving.