Recipe by Stardustannie
These are lentils are delightfully different and will last 10 days or so in the fridge. This recipe makes heaps but they are so very morish. If you like red lentils you'll love this one! (A Belinda Jeffrey's recipe changed slightly to suit my family.)
Top Review by swiersem
This is excellent! Just made a 1/2 recipe as that's all the red lentils I had. If I didn't have to save it for dinner I'd eat half of it now! The flavor combination of salty and sweet is great with the earthy flavor of the lentils. It's ready in a snap and will be awesome to pack for lunch at work. I also like that the proportions are in mL and g.
- 600 g dried red lentils (they actually look bright orange)
- 140 g currants
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup capers (I use small salted capers that have been rinsed)
- 175 ml light olive oil
- 70 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- red onion, slithers
- fresh parsley leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place large saucepan of water on to boil for the lentils.
- Check lentils for any stones etc. Place lentils in a fine sieve and run under lots of running water, when water runs clear, give them a good tap on the side of the bench to get rid of excess water.
- Tip lentils into saucepan of boiling water, stir them well and cook them for only a couple of minutes, until they are just tender with a hint of firmness (watch them very carefully as they can turn into mush in the space of 30 seconds or so, testing them as you go).
- As soon as they are ready pour them into a sieve to drain, shaking them well to get rid of any excess water.
- Tip the cooked lentils into the dressing and mix well. Add the currants and the capers, and leave the salad to cool to room temperature, stirring it regularly.
- When you are ready to serve, pile it onto a plate/bowl and sprinle some onion slithers and parsley leaves over the top.